Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Winter Window Garden - Update

I posted recently about attempting to grow some fresh greens in the window this winter at the behest of my son.  That was a couple of weeks ago and this weekend I finally got my act together to get my winter window garden going, so I thought I would give an update on the progress.

I bought a couple of black plastic small dishwashing tubs for a buck apiece at the local discount store.  I drilled a few small holes in the bottom of each tub so the plants won't get overwatered.  I bought a couple of cheap aluminum cookie sheets to put under the tubs to catch any extra water.  I also picked up a packet of mesculin mix lettuce seeds and a packet of kale seeds from the local Agway.  I took a short trip out behind the stone wall and filled the two plastic tubs to within about an inch of the rim with some great compost from last year's pile that I turned out this fall.

Now, to find a prime sunny window spot for the tubs.  Luckily, we just happened to have the perfect height table hanging around that we salvaged from our neighbors at a tag sale!  I set the compost-filled tubs on the table in the window, spread and covered the seeds, gave them a little water, and covered them with plastic wrap.



That was Sunday morning, and so I fully expected to wait the usual week or so for the seeds to germinate.  But, when I came home after work on Tuesday (yes, 2 days later) this is what I saw.



Kind of hard to tell from the picture, but all those little green dots are plants!  Needless to say, the Sustainable Family is very excited about the prospect of enjoying some fresh greens in the coming weeks, long before we could enjoy them from the outside garden.  Of course, the temperature was in the 60's here today (that's right, February 1st in New England), so maybe I should have just planted the seeds outside?!

No comments:

Post a Comment